Thursday, May 29, 2008

Moving Right Along, Or So We Like to Think

It's that season of the year, I suppose, when various things fall into place, or come to an end, or are cemented, or whatnot. It's apparently the season when some people tell me they're on the verge of completing their dissertations and others announce that they are abandoning theirs, and I can only wish both sets the best of luck about it.
It's now official (although the paperwork has yet to be done) that next year I will be a Visiting Professor in my department. There are two of us, neatly separated into modern and medieval (last year we had modern and American). In the fall I'll teach Intro to Modern Art on Mondays and American Art Tuesday-Thursday. The spring courses are still somewhat negotiable but we have a pretty good idea what they'll be.
In other news, yesterday, while on my way to Radio Shack to replace A CORD SOMEONE HAD YET AGAIN PURPOSEFULLY SAVAGED (Orion, specifically), I happened to run across Sachem, one of the other gamelan students. We chatted while he waited for his bus and he regretted that he won't be able to take gamelan next year due to the rigors of finishing up a double major in music and philosophy. You can listen to his non-gamelan music on MySpace and probably even buy his album there should it strike your fancy.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

His work sounds like something I would have really dug about 20 years ago. Unfortunately (?) my tolerance for "crunchy" music has greatly decreased with age.

May 30, 2008 7:55 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

A pity you were before his time (as it were). I agree that there's plenty of music I kind of like but can't really listen to for very long anymore. I used to put on especially frenetic punk rock as a stimulus to fast typing, but these days fast typing is about the last thing I want to subject myself to, and I have to be in the right mood for the punk rock.

May 30, 2008 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home