Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Strange Searches

Through the miracle of Sitemeter (see bottom of page), I find that for the last two or three weeks a large percentage of visitors to this blog have arrived seeking one of two topics: the c-rt--n rabbit rendition of Br---b--k M--nt--n OR s-x m-chines. (I am inserting the dashes so that this newer post does not attract the traffic rightfully due to the posts in question!)
It appears that my blog post on the c-rt--on rabbits must be one of the only references to them on the internet, which I find extremely hard to believe, given their popularity worldwide. I am glad I can provide the small service of leading people to the correct site, although I would be more pleased to have people continue to read my review of the original film.
As for the s-x m-chines, I can only assume that there must have been a recent television special on the topic in North America, as while over the past few months there were always a few searches on this topic, suddenly it has apparently become a subject of burning interest to the American populace. This is rather amazing to me, as while I find the subject of some mild interest, it would not normally occur to me to look it up on the internet. I mean, if I was curious about the use or history of a specific type of s-x m-chine, I would search for it by name, but the overall subject doesn't really interest me that much from a practical standpoint (although somewhat more than the museum of medieval t-rture instr-ments, of which there is also one in Prague).
It is true that I will look up all sorts of unexpected things on the internet--just last night I was intrigued by the idea that we have a "second brain" in our digestive tract and consequently found myself reading up on that--but I am not normally prone to reading up on the latest gastrointestinal tract research. I daresay some of the recent s-x m-chine queries come from a similar fleeting curiosity.
There are other somewhat common searches that find their way here. I am, for instance, intrigued by the number of people who search for "Brouk" and "mountain" together. I don't usually associate Bohuslav Brouk with mountains, and the word "brouk" means "bug" in Czech, so I am guessing that these searchers (mostly from Spain and Italy) are not sure of their English spellings.
Jesse's blog has also been the subject of some unexpected searches. We are accustomed to the idea that people will happen upon his blog by searching on "nuda" (which means bored in Czech), but the recent interest in s-r-rity whippings was a bit startling. It apparently resulted from his mentioning a s-r-rity girl type too soon after describing Czech Easter customs. You can read all about it in the intro to and comments on his (more serious) discussion of child prostitution in Cheb and other cities here.
Recently I have encountered the phenomenon of searches that should in no way bring anyone to my blog. In the past, I have occasionally gotten visitors via searches that I did not think had anything to do with this blog, but which turned out to include words from the comments section which combined in some unexpected way with words from somewhere far away in the blog. (People, please keep in mind that if you want to search for a phrase, put it in quotation marks! Otherwise, you will get very unpredictable results.) It is clear, however, that Google can go crazy and throw something totally inappropriate into the results, as is evidenced by someone's recent search for "Olga" and "Jack Astor" (which were nicely put in quotes). I gazed at this in astonishment, thinking it was vaguely possible I had mentioned an Olga at some point but could not possibly have referred to Jack Astor (isn't it a dog breed or something?). When I followed the Google search, it brought up the blog, but not with any reference to those words. Alas, now they are in the blog and if anyone else searches for them, they will find this post and marvel. Obviously Google has its bad days from time to time.
Life is always interesting, if rather unexpected, in the blogosphere.

2 Comments:

Blogger morskyjezek said...

Uh oh. Just imagine how many searches for digestive tracts you will get now! :-)

The strange and unimaginable ways to find my blog also continue. In addition to the usual traffic from searches for brothels, prostitutes, round tableclothes, and the like, there were a few interesting ones. Here are a few of my favorites for the last couple days:

*"john gibson" clarinettist gay [I never spelled clarinetist with two t's!]

*why can't you step in to the same river twice

*doing laundry in the czech republic

*can i find out more about the south shore drill team from chicago illinois

That last one was perplexing, but I do show up on the results. Oh my. I guess now R&SF will, too. But those searches probably don't come up that often.

May 16, 2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

The latest known oddity was for "downloud cnc moive" (whatever that might be)--definitely not words that appeared on this blog before now, yet the post on cafes appeared at the top of the list over pages that actually misspell "download" and "movie" in this fashion. Who knows...

Forgot to mention that searches for dental work are also an enduring staple...

May 16, 2006 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home