Friday, May 25, 2007

More from Tvorba (and Štyrský)


A more typical image from mid-1930s Tvorba is this photo of gas-masked cameramen in San Francisco covering a strike. Tvorba and other periodicals of the day showed an unending parade of photos and cartoons of people in gas masks.
Which reminds me that in honor of the upcoming Štyrský retrospective we wouldn't want to forget about this collage from Emilie Comes to Me in a Dream (note figure in gas mask to the right):


And no, I'm not sure how many people's limbs are shown on the left either.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Thanks for the comment about the limbs! I was very confused and could not make sense of whose leg is whose and whose boots are there. Now I won't feel that I lack some ability to identify these various parts.

May 27, 2007 5:26 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I don't think we'll know how many bodies were involved until someone digs up the original photo source.

This collage is in the retrospective, but I didn't notice any mention of the limbs.

May 29, 2007 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home